Lemons, lemons, lemons! I just looooove lemons.
I love the smell, I love the tangy taste, I love the look (my whole kitchen is adorned with yellow lemons)
The recipe is quite simple, and the ingredients are pretty commonplace which was a definite plus!
(Don’t you hate when I recipe has a bunch of exotic ingredients that no person would happen to have in their pantry?)
So when I came across this Graham Streusel Lemon Muffins recipe (pg. 61) in the Pillsbury Best Muffins and Quickbreads cookbook, I had to try them out!
However, one issue I had with the recipe is the yogurt. I could not find a plain lemon low-fat yogurt, so I had to use a lemon meringue. Also, I could not find this in an 8 oz. container, so I had to buy two 6 oz. containers and measure. Not a big deal, just a forewarning!
Graham Streusel Lemon Muffins
Prep: 20 minutes Bake: 12-18 minutes Yield: 10 muffins
- 3 tablespoons graham cracker crumbs
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon margarine or butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (8 oz.) container low-fat lemon yogurt
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1 egg
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Line 10 muffin cups with paper baking cups and spray paper cups with nonstick cooking spray. In small bowl, combine all topping ingredients; mix well. Set aside.
- In medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; mix well.
- In another small bowl, combine yogurt, oil, lemon peel, and egg; beat well. Add to flour mixture; stir just until dry ingredients are moistened. (Batter will be stiff) Divide batter evenly into sprayed paper-lined muffin cups. Sprinkle streusel evenly over batter in cups.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 12 to 18 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Immediately remove from pan. Serve warm.
Mmm, these muffins are awesome.
The crispiness of the streusel topping against the moist muffin is just divine.